Friday 3 June 2011

"STOP HARPER!" Absolute Fucking Win.


I am not a fan of Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper. But how can I like Ron Paul (probably the most conservative U.S. senator) and not the head of the Canadian Conservative Party? Well, I simply don't consider 'neo-con' to be 'con' at all. As a matter of fact I think it's a bad joke, and it makes me a little sick. But I'll probably get into that in another post. Anyways, there's this girl I heard about today, Bridgette Marcelle, who gives me faith in Canada. Marcelle, a 21-year-old graduate from the University of Ottawa held up a sign in the Canadian Senate only yards away from Harper that read, 'STOP HARPER.' If you're not up on Canadian politics, that's okay because if I wasn't from Canada I wouldn't give a fuck either.

So to recap...Harper recently was elected as the head of a majority government (166/308 seats in the House of Commons). This of course is misleading (as Marcelle pointed out) because only 1/4 eligible voters actually voted for Mr. Harper. This makes me want to go off about electoral reform, but I'll restrain myself.

Anyways, Marcelle's reason for holding up her sign was to protest Harper's dangerous agenda. She lists the building of mega-prisons, military expendatures, cuts in social programs and an 'I don't give a fuck' attitude towards the environment as major problems in the Harper agenda. Instead, she believes workers movements , women's rights movements and environmental moments should be given more focus. She talks about civil disobedience which I would love to get into, but I think I'll leave it for another post. For now, here's a the interview and an article about the incident. Disrespectful? Awesome? Thoughts?

CTV interview with Bridgette Marcelle
Globe and Mail article about the incident

No comments:

Post a Comment