Saturday 21 May 2011

Some words of wisdom from Mr. Wallace.


A good friend of mine sent me a link to this article by David Foster Wallace (author of Infinite Jest and The Broom of the System). When he was explaining it to me I thought it was pretty much complete bull shit. It wasn't until I read all of it did I appreciate Wallace's simple but brilliant point. To summarize, Wallace says that new graduates don't know shit about shit. He talks a lot about being self-centered and how thinking we are the center of the universe is our 'default setting' (because after all, we experience 100% of the events in our lives from our own perspective). Wallace says,

"This is real freedom. That is being educated, and understanding how to think. The alternative is unconsciousness, the default setting, the rat race, the constant gnawing sense of having had, and lost, some infinite thing."

Anyways, just thought I would share.

No comments:

Post a Comment